It’s Baseball Season, and Dogs are Welcome!
Batter up! Another baseball season is underway, and we’re looking forward to cheering on our favorite teams. In recent years, many ball parks have held events that welcome our furry friends into the stands, too. So this year we’ve rounded up some of these upcoming events sure to delight all you baseball-loving dog owners out there. Check ‘em out, and see if your local team has joined the dog-friendly club!
We’ve chosen to focus on Major League Baseball teams in this post, but there are plenty of minor league teams that have similar pet-themed events. Check out your team’s website to see if they have a dog-friendly event coming up!
- Chicago White Sox: The White Sox will host a “Bark at the Park” event during the Tuesday, September 13, 2016 game versus the Cleveland Indians at 7:10pm. The White Sox have held dog-friendly games at the ballpark for nearly 20 seasons. That’s quite a run!
- Detroit Tigers: Comerica Park will welcome dogs into the stands on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 during the 7:10pm game vs. the Seattle Mariners. The Tigers’ “Bark in the Park” event is an annual tradition in Detroit, and not to be missed. Just make sure your pup doesn’t chase the Tigers’ feline mascot Paws, OK?
- Houston Astros: Sunday, August 28, 2016 is “Dog Day” at Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros. The Astros will play the Tampa Bay Rays, and the game starts at 1:10pm. Check out these pictures from last year’s Dog Day!
- Kansas City Royals: Last season’s World Series Champs will host a “Bark at The Park” this month, during the Tuesday, April 19, 2016 game vs the Detroit Tigers at 6:15pm at Kauffman Stadium. Unfortunately, KC’s Bark in The Park tickets are already sold out! If you’re lucky enough to snag a ticket, you’ll be sure to meet lots of new furry friends!
- Oakland Athletics: The Oakland A’s “Bark at the Park” event will be held at the Oakland Coliseum on Friday, July 22, 2016. The A’s will play Tampa Bay at 7:05pm. Registration begins at 4:15pm, and don’t miss the Pup Parade on the Field at 6pm! They’re even hosting a Twitter Photo Contest at the event. Sounds like a lot of fun!
- Seattle Mariners: Seattle lives up to its dog-friendly reputation by hosting not one, not two, but THREE “Bark at the Park” nights at Safeco Field, home of the Seattle Mariners. They will be held on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 (vs. Oakland), Tuesday, August 9, 2016 (vs. Detroit) and Tuesday, September 6, 2016 (vs. Texas), and all will be evening games, starting at 7:10pm. With this many opportunities, Seatlleites would be silly NOT to bring their pup to the park!
- Tampa Bay Rays: Next Sunday, April 17th, 2016, is “Dog Day at the Rays” at Tropicana Field. The Rays will play the Chicago White Sox at 1:10pm. Tickets are $30. But Rays fans better hurry up, because the deadline to order tickets is next Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 11:59pm!
- Texas Rangers: The Rangers will host their 11th Annual “Bark at the Park” on Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 7:05pm at Globe Life Park. Texas will face the Toronto Blue Jays in this matchup. There’ll also be a bobble-head giveaway and a post-game concert by Cody Johnson, so it sounds like an eventful evening is in store for Rangers fans!
- Arizona Diamondbacks: The D’backs are hosting a “Bark at the Park” on Sunday, May 1, 2016 during their 1:10pm game versus the Colorado Rockies. Don’t worry, the park is air-conditioned, so your pups can stay cool despite the hot Phoenix sun. And thanks to Phoenix-based pet retailer PetSmart, dogs will be welcome at Chase Field for EVERY Sunday Diamondbacks home game in 2016! Dog owners and their pets will have their own dedicated seating and concessions area, PetSmart Patio, and their own indoor/outdoor dog park, PetSmart Park. Phoenix area pups sure are lucky dogs!
- Atlanta Braves: The Atlanta Braves are hosting two “Bark in the Park” nights this season at Turner Field. You can bring your dog to see the Braves play the New York Mets on Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 1:35pm or play the Washington Nationals on Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 1:35pm. Each canine fan will take home a Braves leash at the event, so your pooch can display their Braves pride even after the season is over!
- Cincinnati Reds: Cincinnati Reds fans will get FOUR chances to bring their dog to see their favorite team play at Great American Ball Park. The Reds are hosting “Bark in the Park” events at the following games: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 vs. the San Francisco Giants; Thursday, June 9, 2016 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals; Wednesday, August 24, 2016 vs. the Texas Rangers; and Tuesday, September 13, 2016 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers, all at 7:10pm. These games tend to sell out fast, so don’t miss out, Cincinnati!
- Colorado Rockies: The Rockies are hosting a “Bark at the Park” event at Coors Field on Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 6:40pm vs. the Washington Nationals. Details about the event are still forthcoming, but in the meantime, check out these pictures from last year’s Bark in the Park!
- Los Angeles Dodgers: LA dogs, you’re invited to Dodger Stadium on Saturday, July 9 for “Pups at the Park.” Fans and their pups will enjoy a pre-game pup parade on the field followed by a 4:15pm game vs. the San Diego Padres. The Dodgers will donate a portion of the proceeds from this event to Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. So you can have fun, cheer on your team, and support a good cause, too!
- Miami Marlins: The Marlins are hosting their annual “Bark at the Park” event at Marlins Park on Sunday, June 5th at 1:10pm vs. the New York Mets. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go to support the Humane Society of Greater Miami and the Broward County Humane Society. Bring your own rescue pup and help many more find forever homes!
- New York Mets: Mets fans must be real dog lovers, because Citi Field is hosting FOUR “Bark at the Park” events in 2016. Tickets for the April 10th event are sold out, but they are still available for the other three games: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:10pm vs. the Cincinnati Reds; Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 7:10pm vs. the Washington Nationals; and Wednesday, September 21 at 7:10pm vs. the Atlanta Braves. The Mets are partnering with the North Shore Animal League, the largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization in the world.
- Philadelphia Phillies: Philly’s home team is hosting a “Phillies Bark at the Park” event on Friday, May 20, 2016, when the Phillies will play the Atlanta Braves at 7:05 p.m. Tickets are still available, but hurry up, because Bark in the Park is limited to the first 300 dogs who sign up. You don’t want to miss a chance to parade with your dog on Citizens Bank Park Field, do you?
- Pittsburgh Pirates: The Pittsburgh Pirates are HUGE dogs fans, and they’re opening PNC Park to pups for TEN Tuesday night games this season. (Wow!) The “Pup Nights at PNC Park” dates are: May 3, 2016 vs. the Chicago Cubs; May 17, 2016 vs. the Atlanta Braves; May 24, 2016 vs. the Arizona Dimondbacks; June 7, 2016 vs. the New York Mets; June 21, 2016 vs. the San Francisco Giants; July 19, 2016 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers; August 9, 2016 vs. the San Diego Padres; August 23, 2016 vs. the Houston Astros; September 6, 2016 vs. the St. Louis Cardinals; and September 27, 2016 vs. the Chicago Cubs. All games start at 7:05pm. With so many options, we may need to take a road trip to Pittsburgh from DogWatch HQ in Massachusetts!
- San Diego Padres: The Padres play in Petco Park, so you bet they have dog-friendly games on their schedule! The Padres are hosting “Dogs Days of Summer” on Thursday, June 2, 2016 vs. the Seattle Mariners at 6:10pm; Monday, August 1, 2016 vs. the Milwaukee Brewers at 7:10pm; Monday, August 22, 2016 vs. the Chicago Cubs at 7:10pm; Monday, September 5, 2016 vs. the Boston Red Sox at 1:40pm; and Monday, September 19, 2016 vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks at 7:10pm. To get a dog-friendly ticket to one of these events, you’ll need to fill out this form on the Padres website. Good luck and have fun, Padres pups!
- San Francisco Giants: San Francisco is known as the most dog-friendly city in America, so of course their baseball team, the San Francisco Giants, is welcoming dogs into their park this summer. AT&T Park is hosting a “Dog Days of Summer” event during the game on Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 1:05pm vs. the New York Mets. The Giants haven’t released much information about this year’s event, but with 120,000 dogs living in the city, we bet there will be a lot of excited pet parents ready to take their pet to the park on game day!
- St. Louis Cardinals: The Cardinals are hosting the 11th Annual Purina Pooches in the Ballpark at Busch Stadium on Saturday, June 13 at 3:15pm. The Cardinals play the Kansas City Royals, and before the game, there will be pre-game costume parade around the warning track. So get those costumes ready, pups – this is your moment to shine!
- Washington Nationals: The Nationals are excited to welcome dogs into Nationals Park for SIX games this season! Pups in the Park will be held during the follow games: Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 1:05pm vs. the Minnesota Twins; Saturday, May 14, 2016 at 7:05pm vs. the Miami Marlins; Friday, May 27, 2016 at 7:05pm vs. the St. Louis Cardinals; Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:05pm vs. the Chicago Cubs; Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 7:05pm vs. the Philadelphia Phillies; and Saturday, October 1, 2016 at 4:05pm vs. the Miami Marlins. Proceeds from your pup’s ticket will benefit Washington Humane Society. Good work, Nationals!
Note: Check your team’s website for more information about these events and event requirements (size limit, vaccination records, etc.).
Know about any dog-friendly baseball events in your area that we missed? Tell us in the comments, or share them on our Facebook page!
UPDATE: DogWatch’s hometown team the Boston Red Sox will be hosting a “Dog Day at Fenway” on June 27, 2016 from 5:30pm-8:30pm. Tickets for this special event cost $10 and can be purchased here.